Simple Thai Chicken Curry
1 T oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 t fresh ginger, finely chopped
1 large chicken breast, cut into small chunks
½ - 1 T red curry paste
1 c coconut cream
1 c chicken stock
1 T fish sauce
2 T lime juice (or lemon juice)
1 T brown sugar
1 red pepper, finely sliced
1 small courgette, cut into small batons
a large handful of fresh beans, cut into short lengths
½ c fresh coriander, finely chopped
a spring onion, finely sliced
extra fresh coriander
1 ½ c brown rice
1. Cook the rice according to the packet instructions.
2. Heat the oil in a wok over a medium heat. Add the garlic and ginger and stir fry for 30 seconds. Add the chicken and cook until lightly browned, 1-2 minutes. Stir in the curry paste and evenly coat the chicken.
3. Add the coconut cream, chicken stock, fish sauce, lime or lemon juice and brown sugar. Bring to a gentle boil, then turn down to a simmer.
4. Finally, add all the vegetables and cook until just tender, approximately 5 minutes. Just before serving, stir in the fresh coriander, reserving some as the garnish.
5. Serve over a spoonful of brown rice, and finish off with the sliced spring onion and fresh coriander on the top.
Serves 4 for less than $15.
Average cooking time: 10 min.