Egg and Vegetables Fried Rice
1 c brown rice
½ T olive oil (first quantity)
½ c raw peanuts, reserving a few to garnish
2 eggs, whisked
1 T oil (second quantity)
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 t ginger, finely chopped
1 medium courgette, finely chopped
1 ½ c broccoli, cut into small florets
1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
a handful of green beans, cut into small lengths
1 medium red pepper, cut into small lengths
2 T soy sauce
1 T worcestershire sauce
1 ½ T honey
½ t salt
a good grinding of black pepper
¼ c coriander, finely chopped
1 red chilli, finely chopped (optional)
1 fresh lemon or lime, cut into wedges
1. Cook the rice as per the packet instructions. Set aside to cool.
2. Heat the first quantity of oil in a wok or frying pan over a low heat. Add the whisked eggs, and cook for approximately 1 minute, then flip. Once cooked on the other side, remove and set aside. Heat an additional small quantity of oil into the wok or frying pan, add the peanuts and cook for 30 seconds, until lightly browned, shaking regularly. Remove and drain on a paper towel.
3. Into the same wok or frying pan, over a medium heat, add the red onion, garlic and ginger (add more oil if necessary). Stir fry for two minutes. Add the rice and stir to combine. Add the courgette, broccoli, carrot, beans and red pepper and stir fry until heated through and the vegetables are slightly cooked, about 5 minutes. Add the soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, honey, salt and pepper. Stir until the honey is melted and the flavours have evenly distributed.
4. Roll up the egg pancake, cut into thin strips and stir back into the fried rice along with the peanuts.
5. Serve immediately. Garnish with chopped coriander, chilli and lemon or lime wedges.
Serves 4 for less than $15.
Average cooking time: 10 min.