Ethiopian Roasted Beetroot
1/4 cup canola oil
1 diced onion
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
2 large beetroot diced
4 large potatoes diced
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onion and pinch of salt. Cook and stir onion until softened, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger paste, cook and stir until fragrant about 1 minute.
- Add beetroot and stir to together. Sprinkle salt to taste and cook for few minutes. Cover pan and reduce the heat to medium low. Simmer and stir occasionally until beetroot are easily pierced with a fork, around 20 to 25 minutes.
- Add potatoes and cook until potatoes are soft but not falling apart - about 15 minutes.
- The delicious roasted beetroot is now ready to serve with rice or bread.
Serves 4 for less than $15.
Average cooking time: 45 min.