Healthy Pad Thai
1-2 T olive oil (or sesame oil)
½ c chopped raw peanuts
1 courgette, cut into batons
1 red pepper, finely chopped
200gm Pad Thai rice noodles
1 green chilli, finely chopped (optional)
¼ c coriander, finely chopped
1 T sesame oil (or normal oil)
1 t ginger, crushed
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 T soy sauce (gluten free if required)
1 T apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar)
1 T brown sugar
1 T lemon juice
1. Place the rice noodles in a heat proof dish and cover with boiling water. Soak for 5 minutes and drain. Recover with boiling water and soak for a further 2-3 minutes until tender and soft. Drain and rinse under warm water.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan or wok over a medium heat, add the peanuts and cook for a couple of minutes until starting to brown and crispen. Add the eggs and stir fry until cooked, breaking them up as you go. Add the courgette and red pepper and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
3. Combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
4. Refresh the rice noodles under warm water to loosen them up and add to the wok, along with the sauce ingredients. Stir to combine and heat through. (If you feel the mixture is too dry, add some boiling water).
5. Serve immediately with chilli and fresh coriander on the top.
Serves 4 for less than $15.
Average cooking time: 10 min.